Skip to content

Cart

Your cart is empty

|

Early Australian 9ct Silver Lined Rose Gold Bangle By Aronson And Co. Circa 1930’s

Sale price$703.00 USD

Laybys welcome! Contact Us today to secure your dream piece.
Dating to the 1930’s or thereabout this heavy and sublimely wide bangle was manufactured by one of our early jewellery firms Aronson and Co. 1902-1947.  

Crafted from, and stamped for 9ct Silver lined which indicated the bangle is made from a solid sheet of 9ct gold fused to, in this case, Sterling silver, which gives a (very) long lasting piece of jewellery with all the looks nd feel of ‘solid’ gold.  This is not ‘plating’.. nor rolled gold.. it is frankly the next best thing to solid gold.

Lush in hue, antique rosy gold and crafted as a wide - 1.8cm - oval bangle with push down box release clasp and retaining her original safety chain.

A very faint monogram ‘EEF’ is inscribed to one section of this charming bangle in ye olde script however as the bangle is quite convex and reflective this is hard to see!

In lovely condition for her age with no losses to the 9ct rosy gold, she looks and feels spectacular on the wrist.

STONES
None

MEASUREMENTS
1.8cm Wide
Internal circumference 19cm

WEIGHT
31.1 Grams

MARKS
‘Flag’ - For Aronson and Co.
9ct
Silver lined

CONDITION
Very good condition.  No losses nor wear to the rose gold.  Minor marks only and one miniscule dent to rear panel, noting for accuracy only.  Box clasp works perfectly, original safety chain.  Gorgeous looking antique (almost) bangle.

HISTORY OF ARONSON AND CO.

Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.

In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.

In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership.  The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.

From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street.  In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne.  Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.

By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.  At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!

In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved.  By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne.  

The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.

The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.  Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.

Credit: Australian Jewellers Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks - Cavill Cocks Grace.