Such a rare little (not so little!) find by well known Australian jewellery firm founded by William Dunkling of Melbourne and later to become well known ‘Dunklings The Jewellers’.
Crafted from 9ct rose gold and a large 4.8cm x 4.6cm round, designed as an opening compact with a small mirror and deep at 5mm, this bottom compartment would have held powder or rouge.
To the front we find beautifully inscribed initials ‘P H’ in ye olde script .. we wonder who this lucky lady was!
Worn originally as a chatelaine accessory however today this fine Australian antique compact could be worn as a large pendant/locket or just add her to your vanity table accessories!
HISTORY OF DUNKLINGS (1898- 1990s)
Dunklings was one of the better known jewellers of Melbourne, beginning trading in 1893 as Dunkling and Silberman at 471 Elizabeth Street. By 1898 they had moved to 317 Bourke Street and a decade later the premises had been enlarged and rebuilt. Continuing to prosper under the control of William Dunkling and H.P Williams and in 1916 the proprietors opened another store at 294 Collins Street.
Dunklings new “Diamond House” was fully occupied prior to the outbreak of WWII and their staff had grown to over 100 people.
Producing a considerable proportion of their own jewellery, especially diamond engagement rings. By 1940 the firm was listed as ‘Dunklings The Jewellers Pty Ltd”
Credit: Australian Jewellers: Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks. Cavill, Cocks & Grace
Edwardian - 1910-1915
4.8cm x 4.6cm
‘W9D’ - For William Dunkling
Good antique condition. Opens and closes very securely. Minor impressions to front and a few impressions to the back. Mirror is very good, convex, however makes one look a bit ghastly !! Lovely large antique Australian piece.