Dating to the early 20th century this fine piece of jewellery is Australian in manufacture, crafted from 9ct rose gold, and is designed as a shield shaped opening locket with two compartments for treasured photo.
Fine engraving diagonally displayed to the front panel and in gypsy star setting a small faceted red paste (glass).
To the rear compartment a Masonic emblem of the Square and Compass used in Masonic ritual as emblems to teach symbolic lessons.
Opening to reveal the two shaped compartments which pleasingly retain both their internal rims and possibly original clear plastic panes.
3cm x 1.9cm
Australian marks for 9ct and ‘Wheatsheaf’ guarantee mark for 9ct gold
Makers mark very faded, it would be Willis and Sons or Aronson
Good antique condition. Slight abrasions to top facet of paste seen under scrutiny. Opens and closes very very well. Slight thinning to top loop which joins to top jump ring, plenty of years left though! One tiny impression to rear outer edge only. Both inner rims and early plastic present.
Please note boxes and chains are for display only unless otherwise stated.
HISTORY OF ARONSON & CO
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane. At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.