Superb antique bracelet by one of our well known early Australian jewellery firms Aronson & Co.
Bearing early Australian stamps for Aronson & Co of a 'flag' symbol, ‘9’ and the ‘Wheat sheaf’ representing Australian guarantee of quantity mark (used between 1889 - 1920's).
The flag symbol was used by Australian jewellery firm Aronson & Co.
Superbly crafted from 9ct rose gold and set in alternating oval links are five round brilliant cut Peridot of approximately 0.50ct each and eight tiny natural seed half Pearls set in to a tiny diamond motif to the centre of each link.
Each oval link is clasped to the other by an interesting and ornate twist link which just adds to the beauty of this early bracelet.
Fastened very securely by a hidden push in flat box clasp and for added security the original safety chain is still present.
It is becoming increasingly rare and hard to find antique Australian bracelets of this calibre which are hallmarked for the maker so we are sure this one will be a wonderful addition to any serious collectors jewellery wardrobe.
5 @ 5mm each or 0.50ct
Each oval link - 11.5 x 10.4mm
‘Flag’ / 9 / ‘Wheatsheaf’ (To verso of clasp)
9c to the verso of every oval link
Very very good antique condition. No repairs to be seen. Links are hollow but show no dents or dings. Clasp is in excellent working condition and fastens very securely.
All Peridot are secure in their settings, they do show some facet softening (slight wear) but this is not obvious to the naked eye, there are no chips to Peridot at all. Safety chain is original and in excellent condition.
Please note boxes and chains are for display only unless otherwise stated.
History of Aronson & Co
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.
At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.