Superb antique Australian bracelet by not one, but two of our well know early jewellery firms.
The bracelet is by Aronson & Co. and is hallmarked to one of the links as such.
Interestingly the padlock clasp is hallmarked for another of our jewellery firms Duggin, Shappere and Co.
How did this match of components of two of our early firms come to be? We will never know for sure and frankly it does not matter as the two are a match made in heaven! Both hues of the 9ct and 15ct match perfectly, that antique soft hued rosy gold we all love in our antique jewellery.
Hollow in construction as most antique curblink bracelets are but solid and large links at 1.4cm x 1.3cm each, and each and every link is stamped with ‘9c’ in the antique manner.
The padlock is large at 2.5cm x 1.7cm (including padlock arm) and retains the original safety chain for added security.
A lovely weight of 25 grams combined allowing this one to feel not too heavy and certainly not too light on the wrist.
Links - 1.4cm x 1.3cm
Padlock - 2.4cm x 1.7cm
Each link is stamped with 9c and hallmarks to one for Aronson & Co.
Padlock is full hallmarked for Duggin, Shappere & Co and 15ct
Very very good antique condition. No thinning between links, minor marks to gold, a few minor impressions to one or two links only, nothing significant. Lovely rose gold patina. Minor marks to padlock only, opens and closes very securely. Wonderful antique Australian piece of jewellery.
Please note boxes and chains are for display only unless otherwise stated
HISTORY OF ARONSON & CO.
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West.
The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.
At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.
HISTORY OF DUGGIN, SHAPPERE AND CO.
Duggin, Shappere and Co. established their business in Howey Place, off Little Collins Street in Melbourne in 1896. It was one of the major jewellery manufacturers operating in Australian in the first quarter of the 20th century. Producing an extensive range of gold jewellery for the increasing demand from the ever growing Australian population. Their use of seed pearls is well known in their original designs of both pendants and brooches.
Their trademark hallmark featuring an ‘Anchor’ was used in conjunction with the guarantee marks of the Manufacturing Jewellers’ Association of Victoria, seen here on this remarkable original design.
Moving premises several times the settled into their final premises at 343 Little Collins Street where they continued until 1932.
Australian Jewellers: Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks. Cavill, Cocks & Grace