Antique Australian 9ct Rose Gold Cross Pendant By Aronson And Co. Circa 1905
Please note boxes and chains are for display only unless otherwise stated
DESCRIPTION (Please scroll to the bottom to view video)
Charming and quite an unusual antique piece by Aronson And Co. circa 1905 and fully hallmarked with his symbol of a flag, 9 and the ‘wheatsheaf’ M.J.A of Victorias guarantee mark for 9ct gold.
Crafted from 9ct rose gold and set to the centre with a blue faceted round ‘paste’ or ‘glass’ stone resembling a Sapphire.
Ornate rope twist and delicate leaf accents adorn the four points of the crucifix.
Measuring a sweet 3.7cm x 2.7cm this particularly pretty example looks lovely on a fine chain.
3.7cm x 2.7cm
Very very good antique condition. No chips to central stone. Matte/bloomed finish to front, highly polished rose gold finish to verso. Minor marks to verso, superficial only.
Laybys available on all items $400 and over. Contact us for more details.
All our items are antique or vintage unless otherwise stated. Condition will be described, it is the responsibility of the buyer to read descriptions and view photos. Please refer to our guide Caring For Antique & Vintage Jewellery for more details.
Prior to purchase, please view our Purchase Guide & Return Policy. All purchases within Australia will be sent via express post as a complimentary service. International rates apply. Please view our Shipping & Delivery Policy for more details
Please note: Any duties imposed by countries for importing our items are the buyers responsibility
HISTORY OF ARONSON AND CO.
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
in 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.
At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.