Early Australian 9ct rose gold buckle bangle by one of our renowned early Australian jewellery firms Aronson & Co.
Designed as a half hoop buckle with impeccable textured scroll work to the front of the bangle and smooth half round rose gold to the verso.
Rose gold throughout however the scrolled chased front has been bloomed to give a yellow gold contrasting effect to the applied buckle and straps which is quite stunning!
Hinged with a very secure push in tongue clasp and we believe we can see remnants of where a safety chain could have been however over the years this has been removed and polished down and barley visible.
Wax filled to give added durability which has certainly been successful as this antique bangle shows no dents or dings.
Hallmarked with Aronson & Co.’s trademark symbol of a ‘Flag’, 9 and the ‘wheat sheaf’ Manufacturing Jewellery Association guarantee mark for 9ct gold this impeccable piece of early Australian history is one for the true collector but also suitable for everyday wear with care.
Internal oval circumference 6cm x 5.6cm
‘Flag’ / 9 / ‘Wheatsheaf’
Very very good antique condition. No dents or dings, only very minor marks to highly polished verso, insignificant. Clasp works very securely. Gold work is lovely, bright and undamaged. Very slight mark where a safety chain may have been attached originally, insignificant.
Please note boxes are for display only unless otherwise stated.
HISTORY OF ARONSON & CO.
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.
At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.