Wonderful and early piece by one of our finest early Australian jewellery firms Aronson and Co.
Modelled as a symbolic ‘Arrow and Crescent Moon’ Brooch with the added touch of a sweet little Bee to the center of the crescent Moon.
“The Bee, according to mythology, was often believed to the the sacred insect that bridged the natural works do the underworld and like fairies often linked with love , magic and romance. The Sword symbolises protection and honour and the Crescent Moon and star representing female empowerment and guidance”.
Crafted from 9ct rose gold throughout and set with imitation seed Pearls indicative and used often in the era and two Garnet topped doublets or Garnet glass (we have not had our gemologist test but believe the to be one or the other and not said Garnets ).
In almost pristine condition for its approximately 120 years with original C clasp and ‘gilt’ pin to the verso this wonderful and very pretty piece would make the perfect and unusual antique piece for anyones collection.
Garnet doublets or Garnet glass
Imitation seed Pearls
2cm At widest point
‘Flag’ For Aronson and Co.
‘Wheatsheaf’ M.J.A guarantee mark for 9ct gold
Very very good antique condition. All claws original and present. Pearls original and matching throughout. C clasp and pin (gilt) original and in excellent wording condition. No chips to or damage to stones or Pearls.
History of Aronson & Co
Aronson & Co. was the successor of Rosenthal, Aronson and Co. founded in 1878.
David Rosenthal, taking advantage of the opportunities that were to flow from the gold discoveries in Victoria in 1851, had built up a considerable wholesale jewellery and importing business in Melbourne during the 1860’s and 1870’s.
In 1874 David Rosenthal’s business became ‘David Rosenthal and Co., of 15 Collins Street West. The ‘and Co.’ was Saul Philip Aronson who was listed as a partner in 1876.
In 1878 George Alfred Aronson joined the partnership. The firm became Rosenthal, Aronson and Co.
From 1889 to 1892 they were listed at 362 little Collins Street. In 1893 they moved to 275-281 Lonsdale Street Melbourne. Along with their Australian departments they also had offices in London.
By 1898 they were also trading at 97 Queen Street, Brisbane.
At some stage unknown to us, there were four brothers involved in the business….Saul, George, Norman, and Frederick Aronson!
In 1900 the various partnership arrangements involving the four brothers were dissolved. By 1902 the Australian operations were incorporated as Aronson and Co. Pty Ltd at 297-299 Little Collins street Melbourne. The newly formed company advertised as manufacturing jewellers and importers. The established wholesaling operation in Sydney and Brisbane were continued, and a branch was opened in Adelaide in 1912.
The Aronsons closed their manufactory in the midst of the Great Depression in 1930.
Norman Aronson had retired in 1927 having spent 53 years in the trade.
Aronson and Co. continued to operate as wholesalers and importers in Sydney until 1947.
(Credit Australian Jewellery Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks by Cavill Cocks & Grace).