Quite a collectible little piece by Hobart based jewellery firm ‘Taylor and Sharp’ - 1894-1950’s this one dating to the Art Nouveau era circa 1905.
Designed in the Art Nouveau style of flowing curvaceous lines and set to the centre with a natural oval faceted Garnet measuring approximately 7 x 5 x 3mm or approx 1.00ct.
Five tiny Seed Pearls compliment the naturalistic design perfectly and the original safety chain and clasp are also present.
Sweet and highly collectible as a piece of Australiana pieces by early Tasmanian jewellery are increasingly hard to source.
History of Taylor and Sharp
Founded in Hobart Tasmania in 1894 in Murray Street by James C Taylor and John H Sharp.
Having relocated to 47 Elizabeth Street 10 years later the partners were described as manufacturing jewellers, goldsmiths and diamond setters and engravers.
Their advertisement in the Tasmania P.O Directory of 1900 stated “Highest Class of Working All Branches - Designs and Estimates Submitted”.
Leaving the partnership in 1904 James set up business in Perth.
During the period 1894-1904 Taylor and Sharp produced a considerable range of gold jewellery. Their mark ’T& S’ was used on jewellery, silverware and wares produced since 1904.
The firm continued to trade as manufacturers until the outbreak of the Second World War. Their retailing activities continued into the 1950’s
Garnet - approx 1.00ct
3.6cm X 2.2cm
Good antique condition. Garnet is natural an has natural internal inclusions but no chips or abrasions to Garnet. All five Pearls are original with no re-gluing. Miniscule ding to one curve, very small. C clasp and pin are original, C clasp has b been re-enforced some time ago, very secure.
Please note boxes are for display only unless otherwise stated.