Skip to content

Cart

Your cart is empty

|

Antique Australian 18ct Yellow Gold Natural Sapphire Ring Circa 1905 (Independent Valuation Included In Purchase For $4050.00)

Sale price$1,674.00 USD

Laybys welcome! Contact Us today to secure your dream piece.
This early Australian ring was crafted by William Davis, W. Davis and son and retailed by Louis Cadby (1882-1939) around the early years of the 20th Century, perhaps a little earlier.

Modelled in 18ct yellow gold and featuring in half hoop style five graduated natural blue Sapphires of a deep blue hue, what we would describe as Royal blue.  In certain lighting conditions the Sapphires appear a dark blue and in others quite an intense rich lighter shade, this one is hard to describe!  The two Sapphires on each end are a slightly lighter blue and this would have been intentional in the original ring.

As per the valuation by our gemologist the inclusions indicate Burma as a possible source and of course we all now the best Sapphires come from Burma.

The Sapphires are ‘off round’ and almost a cushion shape and range in size from approximately 4.5mm for the center stone, 3.6mm and 2.75mm.
An exquisite curved under-galley holds the Sapphires perfectly and a solid half round shank holds this one comfortably on the finger.

History of William Davis & Louis Cadby

William Davis was listed as a jeweller, gold chain maker and diamond setter working from 114 Elizabeth Street Melbourne in the year 1892. 

1916 saw William moving to 340 Little Collins Street and at this time he was known to be a foundation member of the M.J.A of Victoria.  His mark was a Leopards Head and was used in conjunction with the Associations guarantee marks.

Incorporated in 1923 as W. Davis and Sons they trading continued as manufacturing jewellers and in 1948 became W. Davis and Sons Pty Ltd.  During the 1950’s they moved to 94 Elizabeth Street.

Louis Cadby (1882-1939) began as Cadby and Winkle in 1880 as gold and silversmith at Little Collins Street Melbourne.  By 1882 Cadby was listed separately in the ‘Sands and Mcdougalls Melbourne Directories’ as Louis Cadby.

Trading at 323 Little Collins Street from 1891 to 1934 and became an incorporated company in 1922. 
Louis Jephcott, Cadby nephew who had previously his own manufactory also in Little Collins Street was by this time in control of the company.

From 1935 to 1939 Cadby’s business was located at 93 Swanston Street.
According to ’Trove’, a digitalised historical resource,  Louis Cadby had retired some years before his death on 5th November 1928 at sea whilst returning from a trip abroad.

STONES
Sapphire

MEASUREMENTS
1.7cm x 5.5mm

WEIGHT
3.61 Grams

MARKS
‘Leopards Head’ Symbol used by William Davis / 18 / ‘Sailing ship’ M.J.A. of Victoria guarantee mark for 18ct gold
L CADBY

SIZE
M 1/2 or 16.9mm diameter US 6 1/4
Sizeable

CONDITION
Very very good antique condition.  No thinning to shank, hallmarks clear although the 'L Cadby' stamp is poorly struck.  Sapphires are secure in their settings.  Tiny mark to two Sapphire viewable only under x10 loupe magnification, eye clean.  Gorgeous early Australian ring.