Antique Australian 15ct Yellow Gold Locket By Duggin, Shappere And Co. Circa 1900
Crafted by one of our esteemed early Australian jewellers Duggin, Shappere and Co. around the turn of the last century circa 1900.
Laybys available on all items $400 and over. Contact us for more details.
All our items are antique or vintage unless otherwise stated. Condition will be described, it is the responsibility of the buyer to read descriptions and view photos. Please refer to our guide Caring For Antique & Vintage Jewellery for more details.
Prior to purchase, please view our Purchase Guide & Return Policy. All purchases within Australia will be sent via express post as a complimentary service. International rates apply. Please view our Shipping & Delivery Policy for more details
Please note: Any duties imposed by countries for importing our items are the buyers responsibility
History of Blooming
Blooming, a popular finishing technique for karat gold jewellery from 1870 to 1890, was first documented in 1853. The means for creating a bloom finish involved dipping a gold item into a boiling mixture of hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid), saltpeter (potassium nitrate), salt and water. This process burned off any alloys on the surface resulting in an alloy-free, thin layer of soft, pure gold on the item.
Duggin, Shappere and Co. established their business in Howey Place, off Little Collins Street in Melbourne in 1896. It was one of the major jewellery manufacturers operating in Australian in the first quarter of the 20th century. Producing an extensive range of gold jewellery for the increasing demand from the ever growing Australian population. Their use of seed pearls is well known in their original designs of both pendants and brooches.
Their trademark hallmark featuring an ‘Anchor’ was used in conjunction with the guarantee marks of the Manufacturing Jewellers’ Association of Victoria, seen here on this remarkable original design.
Moving premises several times the settled into their final premises at 343 Little Collins Street where they continued until 1932.