A superb and quite rare piece by one of our early Australian jewellers Duggin, Shappere And Co. Melbourne and manufactured circa 1915, and hallmarked beautifully with their symbol, cartage and guarantee mark to the verso.
Crafted from lush rosy hued 15ct gold and modelled as a hollow ‘puffy’ Heart and studded to the front with 30 small natural half seed Pearls, creamy white in tone and in very good condition, with no replacements nor re-glues.
A lovely size at 2.2cm x 1.8cm and quite substantial at 5.4 grams.
These pieces of early Australian jewellery history are becoming increasingly hard to source especially by this maker and this condition..
Add this special piece to your collection, she is as wearable and beautiful as the day she was made over 100 years ago.
HISTORY OF DUGGIN, SHAPPERE AND CO.
Duggin, Shappere and Co. established their business in Howey Place, off Little Collins Street in Melbourne in 1896. It was one of the major jewellery manufacturers operating in Australian in the first quarter of the 20th century producing an extensive range of gold jewellery for the increasing demand from the ever growing Australian population. Their use of seed pearls is well known in their original designs of both pendants and brooches.
Their trademark hallmark featuring an ‘Anchor’ was used in conjunction with the guarantee marks of the Manufacturing Jewellers’ Association of Victoria, seen here on this remarkable original design.
Moving premises several times they settled into their final premises at 343 Little Collins Street where they continued until 1932.
(Credit:Australian Jewellers Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks - Cavill Cocks Grace).
Natural Half Seed Pearls
2.2cm x 1.8cm
‘Anchor’ for Duggin, Shappere And Co.
15 - For 15ct gold
‘Hanging Fleece’ - Manufacturing Jewellers Association of Victorian guarantee marks for 15ct gold
Very very good antique condition. All Pearls original with no re-glues. No dents to Heart front or back. Minor marks to gold, superficial and insignificant. Hallmarks to verso clear. Gorgeous and quite a rare little piece of antique Australian history.